All the research about counselling shows that a good therapeutic relationship is key to success for the clients, so here are some of the key elements of my work:
- Respect – to build a relationship with you based on respect and confidentiality.
- Curiosity – an open-hearted and genuine interest in you and your experiences and feelings.
- Care – bringing sensitivity and care around any vulnerabilities or trauma that you choose to share with me.
- Present moment awareness – we can learn so much if we pay attention to what is going on right now in body, mind and soul.
- Resourcing – helping you re-connect with your own resources so that you can engage fully with the ups and downs of life.
- Humanity – I want to welcome you exactly as you are.
qualifications and professional information
- Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling and Therapy, Plymouth University
- I currently counsel with First Light (for people who have experienced sexual violence and/or domestic abuse) and in private practice. Until recently I was a volunteer counsellor with West Cornwall Women’s Aid .
- I teach Counselling Skills at Cornwall College (Camborne).
- I have undertaken training in suicide awareness, domestic violence, Non-Violent Communication, mindfulness, creative writing in therapy, Gestalt process, and CBT for anxiety. I am committed to ongoing personal and professional development and regularly attend workshops and courses.
- I have monthly supervision so you can be reassured that I am receiving support in order to fully support you.
- As a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), I abide by its code of ethics. I hold full professional liability insurance.
- I also have a Postgraduate Diploma in Adult and Community Education, National University of Ireland, and I worked for many years in community development and community-based education.
I’m Irish and I have happily adopted Cornwall as my home place. I love it here, the people, the sea, and the pace of life.
I am re-discovering the joys of sea-swimming, even when the water is cold!