Carl Rogers, founder of Person-Centred Counselling believed that we all have an inner, natural impulse to be the best we can be, and live fulfilled lives, but that we are often hampered by the conditions in which we have been raised, traumas we have encountered, or protective habits that may not always serve us well.
He believed, and research shows, that when people are fully supported to accept themselves as they are, then they can heal, develop and move towards fulfilled, contented lives.
Person-centered counselling works very successfully with issues such as:
- anxiety, depression and stress
- change, bereavement and loss
- unresolved childhood issues including emotional, physical and sexual abuse
- domestic violence
- low self-esteem and self-criticism
- relationship difficulties, including parenting challenges
- mid-life reviews and changes
- lack of meaning or purpose in life